"But first, baby, as you climb and count the stairs (and they total the same), did you, sometime or somewhere, have a different idea?
Is this, baby, what you were born to feel, and do, and be?"

-Kenneth Fearing



Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Now Playing

*



Life was the grandest movie.
We sat in our ragged seats
and waited for the future to unfold

this movie, called America,
where nobody has to be poor,
nobody has to stay lonely.

Sure, when the lights came on,
We went back to one check away,
the kids wouldn’t listen, and the car
broke down in the mornings.

Sure, I knew that you never forgave me,
for losing that job with the state, but you
stopped taking your pills. I told you
we couldn’t afford another kid.

Sure, we screamed at each other,
with the kids on my nerves all the time,
(and you never taking my side.)
But, why should we talk about that?

Remember our America,
where nothing gets too bad
and if it does then it’s not for long.

I’ve got this idea for an invention;
a fuel pump that runs your car on dreams. 
I’m going to show it to General Motors.
They’ll give me five million dollars
just to keep it from getting made.

I’ll buy this place then, and you can
fly out to see your mother anytime.
We’ll never go through all this shit again.
The neighbors will watch us come and go.
They’ll say we stepped out of the movies.



                                 
                                        -Brent Allard

No comments:

Post a Comment