"But first, baby, as you climb and count the stairs (and they total the same), did you, sometime or somewhere, have a different idea?
Is this, baby, what you were born to feel, and do, and be?"

-Kenneth Fearing



Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Homestead

*


He doesn’t trust her.

She doesn’t know why.

She just wonders, why did I settle for

this almost house on the plains,

miles from anyone who’d notice

the way my smile glows.



He doesn’t say much.

He smolders efficiently.

He looks at his boys and thinks,

for them I can keep this going.



She storms away from accusation,

plans for the second time to escape

a nothing town. She wants to be

something better, a phoenix

born of pigeons.



He walks in his sleep,

kisses his boys goodnight.

hoping that one love is enough.



He tries to find a solid piece of flame

But he’s an invisible man

and she shines so brightly,

he can see through his own skin.



The boys shake their rattles,

eat paste-like food from jars.

They cry when they’re hungry

when it’s not enough

the invisible man disappears,

and the woman of the pigeons learns

that a phoenix is born of ashes.



-Brent Allard

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful Brent, but so heartbreaking too - so much so that it makes me want to take out my magical eraser, and rewrite the tale.

    You have a wonderful way with words. I didn't know you had this blog, and look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I apologize, it posted twice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bernadine,

    Nice to see you here! I know what you mean about the magical eraser, but I sometimes find the heartache reassuring because it reminds me I've got a heart beating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I can certainly see what you mean there Brent. And yes, to love, to know love - no matter the cost - is worth it in itself, isn't it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I agree 100% any amount of ache is worth it if every now and then people can really love each other.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the poem, and was wondering why you chose *paste-like*(food) instead of just *paste*.
    When I read, I get into the flow of the words - the flow of thought and emotion they contain - and the *paste-like* jabbed my toe and stuck there like gum with a tack in it. But reading it with just the word *paste* kept the flow for me without confusing the imagery. I say keep the paste, drop the like.
    Absolutely LOVE the pigeons and the phoenix. Write on! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brent,Awesome poem man.I am really feeling it.Yes to love is worth the pain.But lost love can be devastating both emotionally and spiritually.Its like you were reading my mind.Thank you again for sharing.God bless you and have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete